Orange Peel Oil
- Obtained from Citrus limon skins
- Limonene 73.9% -97 % is the major chemical compound39,40
- Reduces anxiety
Mechanism of Action
- Orange oil decreases inflammation by strongly inhibiting the 5-lipoxygenase activity
- R-(+)-limonene presents antinociceptive activity and probably this action can be related with peripheral analgesia (but not with the stimulation of opioids receptors)
Reduction of anxiety and depression42
- Reduction of cortisol level and pulse rate in children
- S. M. NJOROGE, N. T. L. PHI, M. SAWAMURA, CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF PEEL ESSENTIAL OILS OF SWEET ORANGES (CITRUS SINENSIS) FROM UGANDA AND RWANDA. JOURNAL OF ESSENTIAL OIL BEARING PLANTS 12, 26-33 (2009).
- A. Geraci, V. Di Stefano, E. Di Martino, D. Schillaci, R. Schicchi, Essential oil components of orange peels and antimicrobial activity. Natural Product Research 31, 653-659 (2017).
- J. F. do Amaral et al., Antinociceptive Effect of the Monoterpene R-(+)-Limonene in Mice. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 30, 1217-1220 (2007).
- M. Jafarzadeh, S. Arman, F. F. Pour, Effect of aromatherapy with orange essential oil on salivary cortisol and pulse rate in children during dental treatment: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Advanced Biomedical Research 2, 10 (2013).